Kingston upon Thames » About Conservation Areas

Special planning controls and policies

Although modern lifestyles can demand change, even in conservation areas, we have controls and policies to make sure that their unique character can be preserved or enhanced.

Certain types of work will need our approval in conservation areas, where normally they wouldn't.

Some conservation areas have detailed background information and associated special studies.

Contact the Duty Planning Officer on 020 8547 5002 if you want to:

  • demolish a main building, garage, outbuilding or wall
  • make an external alteration or extension
  • put up a sign or advertisement
  • put up a new building

Contact a tree officer on 020 8547 5002 if you are planning to carry out any works to a tree. Also see 'Trees in conservation areas'.

Source: RBK website, March 2018.