Kingston upon Thames » About Conservation Areas

Owner occupiers' responsibilities

If you are an owner occupier in a conservation area you can help preserve its character by:

  • asking us for advice a few months before you start any work
  • instructing an agent and contractor with experience at carrying out comparable work in a conservation area
  • choosing design forms and materials for new building works, which respect the character of the individual building and the wider area – this may benefit the value of your property
  • carrying out routine maintenance to your property, outbuildings, walls, fences, gardens and trees, including decorating with appropriate products and retaining or reinstating the architectural features such as brickwork, timber windows, cornices, and architraves
  • being involved in any local body which has the preservation of the local environment as one of its aims (e.g. a residents association, the Conservation Areas Advisory Committee)
  • responding to any opportunity you may be given to make comments on other people's proposals, or on draft guidance or policies.
Source: RBK website, March 2018.